Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chapters 7-13: Personal Connections

This book is okay. It mainly is talking about how people traveled out west when they could not longer afford to live any where else. That seems like if everyone is moving that is poor then how will there be any money were they are going. You need capital no matter where you are at. East or west, north or south. Money makes the world go round. These people do not realize this, because they have lived no where near where the money is at. They worked on farms while the money has been in the cities. Now they are trying to reinvent themselfs with no one to back them up except their family. This can be very difficult for anyone. They are still looking for similar work, but they do not understand that they will not be making anymore money than they were before. Life in California is not always better. It is talked about like how America was talked about to the people of Europe. They think the streets are paved with gold. The only reason why it is successful is because of the people on top. It still has many people that live worse than most people in the rest of the country.

I am starting to know the characters in the Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck because it talks about the stuggles they have to go through in order to keep on living. An example of what I mean is on page 142.  "Ma she said "I got to ask" "scared again?" Ma asked " Why, you can't get through nine months without sorrow" "
I think this is horrible because It shows how bad they have it. That every day is a struggle.
So far, the theme in the Grapes of Wrath reminds me of something important in my life. For me it shows how the lower class will always get pushed down by the more educated. I might be well educated, but I need to learn how to stop this from happening. This is a major issue for our government right now. That is what makes me think it will be a major event for me as well.
I am not looking forward to reading the rest of this book because it seems to me like when they get to California there will be no work. I think when the grandpa died it was a sign that they should have never left. That means this book is on its way to be a tragedy and I do not want to get my hopes up only to have them crushed.

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    Your post is insightful and well-written. I especially like how you've made well-grounded connections to the plight of those traveling to California - way to consider the ideas of economics and history.

    This post scores a 4.

    ReplyDelete